Spring isn’t the only season for cleaning. With summer winding down, kids going back to school and temperatures falling, now’s a great time to tackle a disorganized closet.
We’ve rounded up five of our fastest and easiest tips for maximum organization: from a genius way to fold your shirts to space-saving tricks to put more in your drawers. You’ll have things sorted out just in time to make room for your favorite fall clothes!
1. Fold that nagging pile of T-shirts
Sure, that pile of T-shirts might have been helpful in the summer. You’d just grab one from the pile and go, right? But with the weather changing, you’ll want to make more room for sweaters and jackets. Take those summer T-shirts and turn them into a neat, organized stack in minutes using this helpful method.
Ready in a Snap: How to fold a shirt in 2 seconds
2. Donate unwanted clothes
It’s hard to part with your clothes, but if you want to make room to enjoy your favorite pieces, you might just have to. If you haven’t worn a piece of clothing for a whole season, consider donating it.
How to declutter your closet right now
3. Hang up your sweaters, the right way
It’s that time again! Unpack and hang up those winter sweaters. And don’t just throw them in a pile. If you’ve wondered how to hang a sweater without stretching it out, this easy folding method will be so helpful.
How to hang your sweaters … without ruining them
4. Save sock-drawer space
If you’ve been rolling your socks or worse, just tossing them solo into a pile, we’ve got news for you; you’re doing it wrong. Instead, try this technique, which turns your rolled or mismatched socks into neat little cubes.
This genius method of folding socks will save space in your drawer
5. Organize your junk drawer
If you have some empty shoeboxes lying around, you’re already halfway done. Trim the boxes to fit inside your drawers and voila, instant organizers!
Messy drawers? Here are 2 tips to instantly organize
6. Reuse makeup containers
Have pretty makeup containers collecting on your shelf? Make them into something useful! Mason jars or upcycled containers are perfect for organizing or storing summer makeup items you might retire for the cooler months.
Get It Together: How to repurpose your old beauty containers
Here’s to a cleaner, more organized room.
Testing Marie Kondo’s magical ‘life-changing’ tidying tips
- 1 1. Fold that nagging pile of T-shirts
- 2 Ready in a Snap: How to fold a shirt in 2 seconds
- 3 2. Donate unwanted clothes
- 4 How to declutter your closet right now
- 5 3. Hang up your sweaters, the right way
- 6 How to hang your sweaters … without ruining them
- 7 4. Save sock-drawer space
- 8 This genius method of folding socks will save space in your drawer
- 9 5. Organize your junk drawer
- 10 Messy drawers? Here are 2 tips to instantly organize
- 11 6. Reuse makeup containers
- 12 Get It Together: How to repurpose your old beauty containers
- 13 Testing Marie Kondo’s magical ‘life-changing’ tidying tips